Sunday, February 26, 2012

Sunday Share: Perpetual Emotions, by Jamie Salsbury

Hello to Jamie Salsbury today, visiting with Perpetual Emotions, her second book in the Albert and Anne Series. This is a continuing series, so here's the blurb for the first book.
Perpetual Love: A 1860s historical romance. Based in the territory of Nevada, Anne is a guest with her father at Albert Stuart's family ranch. Albert dreads having to entertain yet another of his father's friends' daughters. However, he is blown away with Anne for when the two meet it is as though two worlds collided. They become inseperable. Anne's father however, has his own agenda and is determined that neither of the young lovers will ruin it for him.


Perpetual Emotions, by Jamie Salisbury

Genre: Historical western romance
Heat Level: sweet to sensual

The continuing story of Albert and Anne, Perpetual Emotions picks up with the couple settling into their new life as husband and wife. Both headstrong, their love and determination lead them on the road of life as they attempt to establish their roles within their marriage.
The book is filled with twists and turns, both good and bad.
Anne's father reappears; this time determined to get his hands on the money she's inherited. By any means. . .


EXCERPT:


“That’s good,” the doctor began, “you need to rest. Now let’s take a look at you and see how you’re doing.”

     Peter had her slip her dress off and began his examination. When he finished, he began, “Your face is looking much better, in a few days the discoloration will be completely gone. Your head is healing well, and the bruises on your arms are much better. I see your wrists are still chaffed; keep using the cream I left for you. Otherwise, you are doing extremely well; you do not have to stay in bed anymore. You may move around the house as long as you don’t overdo. No riding for a while, other than in a carriage, and slowly you can resume your normal routine.”

     “Thank you, Peter, I am feeling much better,” she said.

     “But remember, any headaches or dizziness, come and see me immediately,” the doctor cautioned.

     “She will,” Albert promised.

     “Well, I’m finished here, I’ve sick people to see,” the doctor said, smiling.

     “I’ll walk you out,” Albert told him.

     Once outside Peter asked, “Has she recalled anything?”

     “No, she hasn’t mentioned a thing. I thought that was why she was so restless last night, possibly recalling that day, but she didn’t mention it when she woke up.”

     “Gradually it will come back and hopefully it won’t be too traumatic for her. I can tell she is more relaxed today than she was yesterday. She feels safe and secure here with you and that is what she needs. Let her begin to return to her normal activities, just do not let her overdo, she is still weak. It’s also time you got back to your routine, Albert. Anne is going to be fine. I feel she is well enough that I don’t need to stop by anymore. However, I’d like to see her in my office in two weeks,” the doctor told him.

     When Albert returned to their room, Anne was all ready up, opening windows, and straightening the room.

     “Just what do you think you’re doing?” he asked.

     “Straightening up in here a bit, Peter said I could resume my normal routine,” she answered.

     “He said you could begin doing things, he didn’t mean to jump out of bed and start tearing through the house,” he cautioned.

     Putting her arms around Albert’s neck she told him, “I am not tearing through the house. Now calm down, you heard Peter, I’m doing fine.”

     “Yes, my dear, I heard him say that you could gradually return to your normal routine. When I walked Peter out, I took the liberty of telling Mary she could go back to Sky Valley. I’m sure my family would like to see her and I can see to our needs,” he said, adding, “We’ll be alone tonight.”

     “Mmmm,” she murmured, nibbling on his ear, “yes, we must do as Peter said and get back to our normal routine.”

     “But for now, I want you to lie back down, Peter interrupted your nap,” Albert told her.

     “I’m not tired, Albert,” she replied.

     “You need to get your strength back and the only way that is going to happen is if you rest. You don’t have to sleep.”

     “Alright, I will, if you will join me, you need to sleep more than I, you’re exhausted. I wouldn’t be able to rest knowing you weren’t,” she countered.

     “Alright, you win, I’ll lie down with you for a while,” he said, slipping off his boots before joining her on the bed.

     Thirty minutes later, Anne lay there wide-awake, staring at the ceiling. Albert however, was sound asleep, his arm around her, his head on her shoulder. It had taken him all of five minutes to fall asleep.

     I would love a cup of tea, she thought, lying there. I could slip downstairs and have a cup before Albert wakes. He’ll never even know I was gone.

     Deciding upon a course of action, she slowly slipped from his grasp, gently laying his head upon her pillow. Taking her time descending the stairs, she barely made it to the kitchen before a bellowing voice resounded throughout the house, Anne, damn it! followed by footsteps coming down the stairs…fast.

     Anne braced herself for the scolding she knew was inevitable. Meeting him at the kitchen door, she rushed to explain, “Albert, I was thirsty…I wanted some tea. You were sleeping well for the first time and I didn’t want…”

     “Enough! You promised you’d rest and the second my back is turned…”he said, his face dark with anger.

     “Your back wasn’t turned, she explained, trying to assuage his anger, “you were sleeping …I didn’t want to disturb you for something I could get for myself, I’m sorry I worried you.”

     “Damn it Anne! For once couldn’t you just do as I ask?”

     “There is no need to shout and curse, Albert. I admit I should have…” she began.

     “I don’t seem to get your attention unless I raise my voice,” he roared, interrupting her.

     “Now that is enough Albert! There is no need for you to rant and rave like this. I was only thinking of you.”

     “You weren’t thinking of me, if you were you would have done as I asked,” he pointed out. “Can’t you understand that you are still very weak? What if you had gotten on the stairs, become light-headed, and fell? You could have been hurt…”

     “But, I didn’t,” she said calmly.

     “Damn it! Don’t you hear what I am saying?” he raged.

     “Yes dear, I can hear you and there is a good chance everyone for miles around can hear you also. I said I was sorry, I did not want to bother you when for the first time in days, and you were actually relaxed and sleeping soundly. Now you’ve made your point and we should move on,” she replied.

     “Anne, when are you going to learn that there are times, and this is one of them, that you must do as I say, whether you like it or not.”

     “You best stop right there, Albert Stuart,” she warned, her temper rising. “You do not tell me what to do, just as I would never dream of telling you what to do. I didn’t fall down the steps, I have no headaches, no dizziness, and I am fine! But if you don’t stop your bellowing, I am going to develop a headache!”

     “You are just too independent for your own good,” he said, muttering under his breath.

     “Excuse me? I don’t believe I heard you correctly,” she replied.

     “I said you were too damn independent for your own good!”

     “You once told me you loved my independence. That you found it refreshing for a woman to be so…” she reminded him.

     “I know what I said,” he interrupted, “that was then, this is now. You are now my wife and I will make the decisions regarding your well-being. It’s time you started listening to me and doing as I say.”

     “I will not be dictated to by you or anyone else! I love you with everything in me, but I must tell you Albert, you are being unreasonable. You are making a big deal out of something very trivial…”

     “Trivial?” he said, raising his voice again. “It is not trivial that my wife refuses to listen to me regarding her well-being.”

     Knowing if this went any further, they would have a full-blown argument; Anne decided to take a different path with him. Moving closer, she slipped her arms around his waist, looking up at him she began, “Albert, I do listen to you and value your advice. It is silly for both of us to get so upset over something so insignificant.”

     As he started to reply, she placed her fingers over his lips telling him, “I’m sorry, you’re right, I shouldn’t have come down here alone this soon. I’m sorry that I upset you so, I didn’t mean to.”

     Albert stood staring at her in silence. She had left him nothing else to say, he knew that she was trying to defuse the situation and his temper soon cooled. As he held her he said, “No more little escapades Anne. I want you well and that can’t happen if you are reckless.”

~*~
About Jamie: "I have always written, it was something that came naturally. Fortunately later on in life, it served well in my professional careers. I was raised primarily in the Pacific Northwest, but also lived in South America growing up. Now as an adult, I currently reside in North Georgia. I love to travel, hike, cycle, anything equestrian and photography."


Where to get your copy of Perpetual Emotions:




Thanks again for being here today Jamie! Best of luck with your newest release and wishing you much success. :)

Have a great week, everyone!

Stacey Joy Netzel

No comments:

Post a Comment